An integrated approach: from research to risk assessment and support to risk management.
The European population is increasingly exposed to new physical and chemical agents in the environment, some of which may be damaging to health. Among these, electromagnetic fields (EMF) are one of the most widespread, and their application in new technologies continues to grow, with novel uses being actively developed and commercialised. Although there is some concern among the public and public health professionals alike about possible health effects related to EMF, results of studies to date are inconsistent.
- To better understand mechanisms underlying possible health effects of EMF;
- To better characterise current and future populations levels of EMF exposure in Europe;
- To further the state of knowledge on EMF and health;
- To improve health risk assessment of EMF; and
- To reinforce policy development and propose non-technological means to reduce EMF exposure.